PEOPLE WHO ARE VIOLENT TO ANIMALS RARELY STOP THERE!

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Mothers,arrgghhh


Well this feels and looks very familiar, at certain turning points in my life, my mother would hand me a book and tell me to read it and move on, so at 15 I got a book about "sex and all the things you don't dare to ask about it", can't remember shit from that book. So last week I received a package from my mom containing a book, and of course the topic had to do with turning 40. (The title "Finally over 40", the world belongs to the confident woman, or something like that, well I am sorry mother to inform you that the confident part is highly absent from my life). I know she means well( well at least I think she does), but her approach to things isn't always what I need or want, but I will work on that this year. I would like to be friends with my mother, be seen by her as a mature woman not as her little girl. Do stuff with her like with girlfriends and get her out of her mother and look after everybody mode. I don't know, is that possible? I know it will be harder because of distance, but it is worth a try, because sadly I have to admit I don't really have any kind of relationship of substance with my mother.
It's strange to think of the relationship we had when I grew up, where and how I see my place in my family back then now and how I didn't want to raise my kids that way. And I did partially different, but I think the end result is kind of the same. Unfortunately. So I am starting to wonder what would be the right way to raise kids. Obviously must be a balance between the two styles, I don't think we did such a bad job, but somehow the kids see it differently. (Whether I am the child or it is my children or anybody's child).

No comments: