PEOPLE WHO ARE VIOLENT TO ANIMALS RARELY STOP THERE!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Food and love

Right now I am reading a book called "When food is love" by Geneen Roth. It is a different kind of help book. It doesn't offer any exercises to do to deal with the issues, it doesn't give you really advice on what to do, it just absolutely speaks to your heart and your emotions. I had to put the book down a few times because I was just bawling my eyes out. It's very easy reading, no big technical terms, just written as it is. The things that brought me to tears aren't the stories of the people in it, I can't relate to any of them, they come from divorced families, sexually abused homes and whatever else could be terribly wrong in ones childhood, but the feelings and emotions, the way they function and act, it felt like finally I can relate to something, it's exactly how I feel and how I operate, in every little sense. I kind of knew this was how I operate and act, but reading it and knowing that it's kind of understandable why I do it, made all the difference. I am not saying that that will cure my issues with food, but food isn't really the issue anyway. But it sure makes me think about the things I still have to deal with and work on. Just now I know I don't have to have had these big issues in my life, there are just little things that triggered the control of food. Now I know that nothing major must have happened to one to have these issues, there are a lot of different things that led to that. And that kind of was a little relief and some hope. The only question for me is then, how do you get in touch with feelings you have stuffed down to begin with. I can remember the incidents but I don't remember my reactions to them. Oh well, time will tell.

No comments: