PEOPLE WHO ARE VIOLENT TO ANIMALS RARELY STOP THERE!

Friday, December 30, 2005

March of the Penguins



Ever since I was a little kid I loved any shows about animals, every Saturday afternoon our family would watch "Im Reich der Wilden Tiere" (Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom) and I would be just glued to the TV with tissue at hand, because I couldn't stand seeing animals eat other animals, but I knew it was part of their life cycle. Even nowadays I love watching "Zoo dairies", National Geographic shows and so on, so when I heard about the movie "March of the Penguins" I knew I probably would like it. Unfortunately I never got the chance to see it at the movie theatres. But I guess my friends and family know me well enough to think it would make a nice Christmas present for me, so I got three copies of the movie on DVD for Christmas, two from the family and one from a friend. And I must have watched that movie already ten times. And if you love documentaries about animals it's an absolute must see. It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, it makes you warm inside, it is awesome. The story is about one year in the life of an emperor penguin flock - and one couple in particular - as they trek across the Antarctic on an annual journey that invokes just about every major life experience, from birth to death, from dating to mating, from comedy to tragedy, and from love to fighting for survival.
The cinematography is absolutely beautiful and the images are powerful. Having the story told my Morgan Freeman, is an extra bonus. I always loved his voice and he tells it so calmly and matter of factly. But what really speaks for the story are the pictures, they are worth more than a thousand words and you just can't help falling in love and feel for these cute animals in tuxedos.

No comments: