PEOPLE WHO ARE VIOLENT TO ANIMALS RARELY STOP THERE!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

A fine line: It's all about the attitude

There is a difference between Envy and Jealousy.

Envy is awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with desire to possess the same advantage.

Jealousy is the dispostion or attitude, the feeling hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage.

The difference is seperated by a very fine line.

One is awarness and the other is the attitude.

Both these emotions come naturally when we look at others.

Someone will always be prettier. They will always be smarter.

Their house will be bigger. They will drive a better car.

Their children will do better in school.

You can not change awareness but you can control your attitude.

Attitude is your response.

Response is the action others see and will credit or discredit you for.

This is how we give pleasure to sometimes a unpleasurable situation.

This is your inner beauty...that is what makes the difference by simply knowing the difference.


For the last little while I had incidents in my daily life that made me think of the difference between jealousy and envy. For me there was a big difference, and it was mostly about the way I looked at things. We all have been envy of something or someone and I don't think it's a bad thing, with the right attitude of being envious for me it turns into almost admiration, for example of being like someone because of a certain personal trait I admire and secretly wishing I could obtain that trait, for an easy example, I am envious of the people who can just go out there and sing Karaoke, I wish I had the balls to do it, but I don't and it's not in my make - up as myself to even try it. I am not jealousy because they can and I can't. It's more the admiration of the confident and guts people have, nothing more. Do I wish I could, definately yes, do I know that it's not in my nature to do so, I know that too. So no need for jealousy.
Jealousy for me has a negative undertone with it. If someone is jealous of you, it's like you don't deserve what someone is jealous of and they want it for themselves.
For me jealousy is mean spirited and a personal attack on someone as a person, because of someone else's insecurity and anger of not receiving the same as you.
But that's just my two cents on this topic.

1 comment:

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

I think that if a person is happy in thier own life there is no reason for jealosy to enter anywhere. Envy is another story because we can be envious of anyone for the simplest of reasons but when we sit back and see the whole picture is may be a good thing that we dont drive the fancy car because we dont have to pay the fancy insurance or fuel rates. I believe that when one feels envy it is a tempory feeling and quite the contrary for jealosy. There are many jealous individuals out there but for their own reasons not because of what we have but for what they lack. A mindset maybe. All in all I think envy is somewhat productive as it helps us touch base with what we have and why we have what we have, good bad or indifferent.